Following the start-up of the first troop by Juliette Gordon Low, the second troop in the country was formed right here in our eight-county jurisdiction in the city of Tampa. At Hyde Park United Methodist Church in 1913, the second national Girl Scout troop was led by Jessamine Flowers Link, a friend of Juliette Gordon Low.
The first Girl Scout handbook, How Girls Can Help Their Country, was written by Professor Walter J. Hoxie, a resident of Pinellas County. Professor Hoxie’s gravesite is located at the Sunnyside Cemetery in Pinellas County and is maintained by local Girl Scouts. The first Girl Scout troop in Pinellas County was led by a local teacher, Mary Russell Day, whose father was Professor Hoxie.
Girl Scouts of West Central Florida was formed Oct. 1, 2007 through a merger of Girl Scouts of Suncoast Council and Girl Scouts – Heart of Florida Council.