We just wrapped up a wonderfully busy April for our Long Range Program and Properties strategic visioning process. We had numerous Town Hall sessions, a special session at the Annual Meeting and just this past weekend, the Advisory Committee met up for the fourth work session.
This latest work session included a look back at some of the great Dream Camps that were created as part of the Town Hall sessions. After reviewing all the maps in detail, our Camp Master Planner firm, Brandstetter Carroll, Inc. (BCI), was able to extract some recurring themes from areas such as program needs, site structures and critical components.
More programmatic details were brought in to not only incorporate what was noted in the dream camps, but also what key areas were present in research and surveys to get a better picture of the program needs and how our camps are equipped to handle these both now and in the future.
Additionally, BCI provided their insight as to the current state of every structure on our camp properties. From sleeping units to lodges to pools to program centers – everything was reviewed and assessed with an eye to what their needs are. Finally, the camp properties were looked at in terms of current land usage and potential areas that could be utilized for programmatic needs.
It was a great wealth of data and research and provided a great jumping off point for conversations about where we can go as we head into the final phases of this initiative. A lot of exciting work still lies ahead and we look forward to sharing more updates as we move toward our final plan.
In the meantime, we’re just a little over a month away from the start of Summer Camp! As we get ready for a fun-filled summer outdoors, we’re excited to share an update on our recent camp property improvements, programming changes and a few new things we will be testing out this year.
- A new ski boat for Scoutcrest will be a hit this summer and give us the opportunity to expand programming throughout the year.
- New Gator utility vehicle at Indian Echo to help with property clean up and assisting troops with getting their gear to camp sites.
- We’re clearing space for an amphitheater at Wai Lani. This is perfect for summer camp luau’s and other larger group meeting space. The amphitheater can be the heartbeat of camp. It is a central gathering place for all kinds of events (orientations, shows, drama, dance, awards, evening programs, etc)
- A new portable PA system for programming outdoors as well as within the lodge.
New test programs:
- Paddleboards at Indian Echo
- Hammock Camping at Wildwood
- New metal detectors at Wildwood
- Animals for the nature center at Wildwood
- Indian Echo is scheduled to get a low ropes teambuilding course and a giant swing.
- Scoutcrest is getting a Gaga pit.
We are committed to making this the best summer ever and to give girls fun new adventures at camp. If you haven’t already registered for camp this summer, what are you waiting for? Check out all of our awesome summer camp offerings and make sure you claim your spot today!